|Please Come Aboard!!
|Commissioned 16 November 1943 Decommissioned 11 December 1965
|The U.S.S. General W.A. Mann Association was formed during the
first reunion of the ship, 30 April-3 May 1987 at the Sands Harbor
Hotel and Marina in Pompano Beach, Florida. The reunion
organizer, Gerald J. Bligh, MM 3rd Class, called the organizational
meeting to order at 0900 on Saturday 2 May 1987.
There were about 40 former crew members of the "General Mann"
present and they were in full agreement of continuing annual
reunions and that the establishment of an association would
ensure the success of future reunions.
The first order of formal business was the nominations and
elections of the new association officers. The results of the
President: Gerald J. Bligh Vice President: Thomas J. Blanchette
Treasurer: Thomas Bohara Secretary: Glen F. Gahring.
Our association is dedicated to the preservation of the spirit of
freedom and camaraderie for which so many men and women
who served on the USS Mann exhibited. Our association enables
us to continue the lifelong friendships forged in the service of our
country, and to honor the memories of our shipmates who are
sailing the sea's of heaven ahead of us.
Membership is primarily for, but not restricted to, former crewmen
of the Gen. Mann. Passengers and others qualify for membership.
Contact the Membership Chairman for further information.
|USS Mann Association Officers
2960 Ranchette Square
Pensacola, FL 32563
19 Spring Meadow Drive
Downingtown, PA 19335
1801 E. Kanesville Blvd.
Apt. # 117
Council Bluffs, IA 51503-4770
19 Spring Meadow Drive
Downingtown, PA 19335-1340
Richard "Dick" Taylor
10312 Seven Oaks Road
Ft. Smith, AR 72908-9337
2627 S. Peach Hollow Circle
Pearland, TX 77584-2092
220 Russell Avenue
Winthrop Harbor, IL 60096
25831 Appian Way
Mission Viejo, CA 92691-4703
|USS MANN SHIP HISTORY
|The General Mann was constructed by the Federal Shipbuilding
and Dry-dock Company and was launched on 18 July 1943 at the
Kearney Yard in New Jersey. Mrs. Robert P. Patterson, wife of the
Acting Secretary of War, christened the ship in honor of Major
General William Abram Mann, United States Army. General Mann
graduated from the United States Military Academy, class of 1875
He was a veteran of the Sioux Indian War. He enhanced his
reputation in the Spanish-American War. He was awarded the
Silver Star for valor in action against the Spanish forces in Cuba.
He was the organizer and first commander of the famous 42nd
Rainbow Division of World War 1. He died in 1934 with the rank
of Major General..
Commander Paul S. Maquire, USNR took command of the ship
on 16 November 1943.
The U.S.S. General W.A. Mann (AP 112) was 622' 7" long, had a
75' 9" maximum beam, and a 20,270 ton maximum
displacement. It was powered by two DeLaval 8,500 horsepower
geared turbine main engines capable of producing a maximum
speed of 21 knots.
The peacetime troop capacity was 2,135 and the maximum
wartime capacity was 6,800 troops. It had cabins available for
363 cabin-class passengers.
The ship was decommissioned on 11 December 1965 and was
eventually sold to a salvage company who sold it to the Taiwan
government for scrap in May of 1987.
|Click on name to send an email